5/15/2014 3:00:00 PM Academic teams compete in Area Competition
The Switzerland County High School fine arts Academic Super Bowl team earned first place in the Class 3 area competition at Batesville last week, but after state postings were made available, the team was not able to advance to the state competition for the second straight year.
Along with the win by the fine arts team; the math, science, English, and interdisciplinary teams earned second place honors in their respective competitions.
The social studies team, short one member, valiantly competed as well.
"Coaches and team members have faced illnesses, family problems, conflicting schedules and commitments, but the results and experiences have been worth the trouble," teacher Janet Hendricks said. "All of our academic teams made us proud as they represented Switzerland County High School at the area meet. All of our team members are winners: In our eyes, all are contenders for state awards."
This year's Switzerland County High School Academic Super Bowl teams were made up of:
- Fine Arts: Captain Jerry Clayton and team members Tyler Peelman, Anna Lockwood, and Anthony Henderson. The team was coached by Donna Baker and Tammy Beitzel.
- Science: Captain Robin Furnish and team members Kirsten Furnish, Sean Oatman, Adeli Kinne, and Macy Barwick. The team was coached by Bonnie Fancher and Valerie Smith.
- English: Captain Macy Barwick and team members Anthony Henderson, Jaclyn Hart, Alexis Green, and Tyler Peelman. The team was coached by Janet Hendricks.
- Social Studies: Captain Christian Stogsdill and team members Sean Oatman and Scott Cullen. The team was coached by Michelle White.
- Math: Captain Jerry Clayton and team members Vicky Abbott, Robin Furnish, Erika Coy, and Kayla Jordan. The team was coached by Pam Jones.
- Interdisciplinary: Captain Robin Furnish and team members Macy Barwick, Jerry Clayton, Christian Stogsdill, and Anthony Henderson. The interdisciplinary team, which involves questions from all disciplines, is coached collectively by all the coaches.