2/1/2018 3:00:00 PM Deadline to file for Primary Election next Friday
The deadline to file for this year's primary election is next Friday, February 9th, at noon; and this week again saw a large number of candidates filing for office.
Switzerland County and the rest of Indiana will hold primary elections this May in preparation for the general mid-term elections that will be held across the country in November.
New filings for the Republican Primary in the past week include:
Lance Collier has filed for election for County Council in District 3.
Donald W. Morton and Travis J. Richards have filed for election to the Pleasant Township Advisory Board.
Shannon L. Phipps has filed for election as Pleasant Township Trustee.
Incumbent Joey Rider has filed for reelection as Posey Township Trustee.
Republicans who had previously filed include:
Brian Morton has filed for election as Switzerland County Sheriff.
Jason 'JJ' Sullivan has filed for election as Switzerland County Sheriff.
Gayle Sullivan has filed for reelection for Switzerland County Circuit Court Clerk.
For County Council, District 1, Elizabeth 'Itsy' Jones has filed for reelection; and in District 2, Mike Bear has filed for reelection.
Incumbent Kenneth Byers has filed for reelection as York Township Trustee.
Erin Deck has filed to run for York Township Trustee.
August Dauel, Lisa Fisher and Debra R. Turner have filed to be delegates to the Republican State Convention.
Filing to run for Township Advisory Board Member are: Scott Gregory in York Township; Debbie Hickman in Jefferson Township; Jill Hutcherson in Posey Township; and Jim Phipps in Pleasant Township.
Democrats filing this week include:
Jackie W. Asbury has filed for election as County Commissioner for District 3.
Mark F. Jones has filed for election to the Posey Township Advisory Board; and Lynda L. Spiller has filed for election to the Craig Township Advisory Board.
Incumbent Jim Wingate has filed for reelection as Pleasant Township Trustee.
Democrats who had previously filed include:
Incumbent Mark Lohide has filed for reelection as County Commissioner in District 3.
Stacey Mathews has filed as a candidate for County Assessor.
Vicky Hinman has filed as a candidate for York Township Trustee.
Jack Mathews has filed as a candidate for Craig Township Trustee.
Steve Lyons has filed to run in the primary for County Council in District 2.
Incumbent Monica Hensley has filed for reelection as Prosecuting Attorney of Switzerland County, 91st Judicial Circuit.
Filing to run for Township Advisory Board Member are: Linda Andrew in Craig Township; Michael Beatty in York Township; David Christman in Pleasant Township; Brenda Shaw in Cotton Township; Carol Sublett in Jefferson Township; Lulu Belle Thomas in Posey Township; and Larry Turner in York Township.
Incumbent Barbara Bowling has filed for reelection as the Cotton Township Trustee.
Jennifer Scudder has filed to run for Cotton Township Trustee.
Incumbent Wade Hughes has filed for reelection as the Jefferson Township Trustee.
Candidates who file for office and then change their mind may withdrawal from the ballot until noon on Monday, February 12th.
For this year, there are many offices up for election, including:
- County Assessor, a post currently held by Joan Armstrong.
- County Auditor, a position currently held by Gayle Rayles.
- County Clerk of Courts, a position currently held by Gayle Sullivan.
- County Sheriff, a position currently held by Nathan Hughes.
- County Commissioner, District 3 (Cotton 1 and 2 precincts; Pleasant 1 and 2 precincts), a position currently held by Mark Lohide.
- County Council, District 1 (Jefferson 1 and 2 precincts), a position currently held by Elizabeth 'Itsy' Jones.
- County Council, District 2 (York precinct; Jefferson 3 precinct; and Posey 1 precinct), a position currently held by Mike Bear.
- County Council, District 3 (Craig 1 and 2 precincts; Pleasant 1 and 2 precincts), a position currently held by Glenn Scott.
- County Council, District 4 (Cotton 1 and 2 precincts; Posey 2 precinct), a position currently held by John Gary Welch.
- All Township Trustee positions: Cotton, Craig, Jefferson, Pleasant, Posey, and York townships are up for election. Those positions are currently held by: Barbara Bowling in Cotton; Stacey Mathews in Craig; Wade Hughes in Jefferson; Jim Wingate in Pleasant; Joey Rider in Posey; and Ken Byers in York.
- In addition to the Township Trustees, the members of the Township Advisory Boards will also be elected.
- Both the Republicans and the Democrats will elect delegates to their respective State Conventions.
- The Switzerland County Democrats will be electing Precinct Committeemen.
Sullivan also said that open registration for those wanting to register to vote is also underway. That can be done in a variety of ways and locations, including in the clerk's office in the courthouse. Open registration ends on Monday, April 9th. Registration will then re-open after the primary election is completed for people who want to vote in the general election in November.
Sullivan said that, like past years, the traveling voting centers will be held around the county two weeks prior to the primary election on May 8th, but the official schedule has not yet been set. The clerk said that voters can cast their ballots in the courthouse beginning on Tuesday, April 10th.
For more information concerning this year's election, contact the Switzerland County Clerk's office at (812) 427-4415.